The Revolution begins when the process becomes practice. Brené Brown.
Keep on doing the things that you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, and the God of peace will be with you. The Apostle Paul (Philippians 4:9)
Years ago, one of my favorite Bible commentators wrote a book called A Long Obedience in the Same Direction. The title stuck with me as a life principle. Whenever I think about giving up on something that’s hard, I remember the concept the book title teaches: stay on a good journey long enough, and you’ll eventually end up where you want to be.
I hope your rising strong journey is something you stick with for a lifetime.
If we’re realistic, we won’t expect to be great at rising strong the first time we try it! The things we’re learning like: Living BIG, The Physics of Vulnerability, Integrity of Values and BRAVING Trust… are HARD to do. As we practice these skills, we will get better and better at rising strong.
In Chapter 11 Brené says that the Revolution begins when the process becomes practice.
How can you turn what you’re learning into regular practices? How can you, as Paul writes in Philippians, keep on doing the things that you have learned, received and heard?
Ideas for turning the process into practice:
- Read Chapter 11, The Revolution.
- Every day this week, review one of the small group discussion guides from the past five weeks. Pick one key learning from that guide to focus on that day.
- Keep the conversation going in your own soul. Try one of these:
- Talk to God about that key learning.
- Write about the learning in your journal.
- Tell a friend or family member about the key learning.
LORD God, help me practice the key learnings from Rising Strong.